Sunday, November 23, 2008

Double the Ear Infection, Double the Fun!

Our Sweet Baby has had a runny nose since Monday, but on Thursday there was a very evident change. My sweet independent boy suddenly was very very needy and pretty much wanted to be held constantly, then at night every few hours he would have a scream fest. Thursday night I took his temperature before he went to bed and it was 101.4, this has never happened before and it scared me a little. We gave him some Motrin and proceeded with the regular bedtime routine. I decided that if he still had a fever in the morning I would take him to the doctor. At 11 pm, I was awakened by the pain cry, and so baby and I cried together, I, because I had no Idea what was wrong with my baby, and he, because he was trying to tell me something that I just didn’t understand. Well, Friday morning the fever was 100.2, and so he was given some Tylenol and taken to the doctor.

After a thorough inspection the baby was pronounced Sick! Both ears are infected, one much worse than the other. So the pain cry was caused by actual pain, I suddenly understood why the pain cry went away when I held him, i.e. his head was elevated. So now along with Cherry or Orange flavored painkillers, baby gets to have two servings of Tropical Fruit flavored antibiotics per day. The Doctor said we will probably have a clingy baby for another day or so but he should be back to his independent little self very soon. I am glad that I listened to the little voice inside my head that said “Take him to the Doctor”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mother's intuition. It has saved us many a time, too. Good for you!!! Nothing is WORSE than a sick child! I am so sorry!! Hopefully the double ear infection will end soon (well, at least the pain). Poor baby!!

Christy said...

Even with a snotty nose he is too cute for words.