Friday, February 4, 2011

Deja Vu

Does this look like a boy with a congenital birth defect? If you said Yes, then you are right!
I guess it is not true Deja Vu, but I have been through this before. According to heainfo.org-"Hypospadias is one of thy most common birth anomalies, occurring to some degree in as many as 1 out of every 125 boys (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)." As simply as possibly, Hypospadias means that the opening of the urethra is in the wrong place. Little J was born with it. He had an incomplete foreskin as well which was a pretty big sign that something was wrong. Baby B didn't show any signs of Hypospadias until after he was circumcised. I took him to see our Pediatrician, Dr. Witt, for his 4 month well child check, it was the first time he had seen him ( I gave the Family Practitioner I saw for my pregnancy a chance with Baby B, I like her and everything I just like our Pediatrician more, so I switched Baby B's care to him). Dr. Witt has been J's pediatrician since he was about 3 months old and he knows what we went through with J, his surgery, bleeding and subsequent Von Willebrands diagnosis. So when I told him I thought Baby B's little boy parts didn't quite look right, he took me seriously and took a look. Sure enough, even though we were told we only had a 10% chance of having another son with Hypospadias.......we did. I am 100% good at making super cute sons, with common birth defects.

So now we get to go see the Urologist up at Primary Children's Hospital. I had no idea what we were in for the last time we took our baby boy there, this time I know the basics and I have even more questions. Questions about the surgery, which is quite routine and normally uses portions of the little boys foreskin to extend the urethra and create an opening in the proper place. But Baby B's surgery will be different, because he has been circumcised......so I don't know what they will do. I am slightly concerned that this will make his surgery less routine, how will they do it? Will they use donor tissue? Another thing I have on my mind is Von Willebrands, I will absolutely 100% get Baby B tested. I can learn from past experience. I don't think any of my children will ever have surgery, or even tooth extraction, without me knowing their Von Willebrands status. I don't want anymore trips to the ER with poor little bleeding babies if I can prevent it.

So, give us a year (we will probably do the surgery in Jan of 2012) and we will have a picture of Baby B similar to this one of J.
I believe in God, I believe he doesn't give us any trials that we can not handle. So I can handle this. Baby B can handle it too. We are going to be fine.

1 comment:

Janaca said...

Good luck! I totally know what you're up against. Jordan was born with the same thing! He had to have the surgery when he was one and now he's fine. Jackson luckily didn't have it but ya never know! I hadn't even heard about it before but yeah I guess it's fairly common. He always looks so happy!