Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Race of My Life

I had a fun weekend. My Sister L ran the St. George Marathon on Saturday and Baby and I were part of her support team. There were 9 of us on the support team, and 8 of us didn’t make it to the Finish Line in time to see her cross, but we did see her somewhere between mile 24 and 25. When we saw her, SHE WAS SMILING! WOW!

In July of ‘07 when I ran the Freedom Festival 5k I discovered that I really enjoyed the cheers of the people waiting to see the Parade. As we ran past people would yell out “Go Runner!” and so I did, I kept going. It was fun to cheer for the Marathoners on Saturday; a good Majority of them smiled and acknowledged my cheer for them and more than I expected said “Thank You” as they trotted past. The baby got quite a few smiles from the Female Marathoners, his sweet dimples cheer pretty loudly.

So, to be completely honest, I haven’t run in almost 2 months. I have slacked off and my weight reminds me of that slacking. Worse then that, my food choices have not been the best either and my stomach is starting to frequently remind me that I make bad choices some times. L ran a Marathon, and I am pretty sure that my sister J is going to run one sometime in the next two years (I am pretty sure I heard her say she wanted to). I don’t know if I ever will, I am quite whimpish-26.2 miles is really far, but I do need to run a race. I need to run the race of my life, I need to get in shape so that I can live, so that my body will work better, I complain much to much to Ken that my stomach or some other part of my body hurts, I am 99.9% sure that if I get into shape, lose some weight and eat healthier I will cut the complaining down by at least 50% (even if it is because I am to tired to complain). On a side note- I am re-watching the first session of General Conference and Elder L. Tom Perry is talking about the Word of Wisdom right now! I need to follow it more closely, I vow today that I am going to take better care of my body and I am going to not only Run the Race of my Life, but I am going to Win It! (he he he, considering I am the only one in the race… how hard can winning be.)

I know that this is what I need to do and I know that I will receive help, as I need it. For example- last week I got a Runner’s World Magazine in the mail, I don’t subscribe to it, but somehow it came to me, with my name on it and everything. What does this Magazine contain? Oh, just how to get started again when you haven’t run for a while, how to stay motivated and get past the doldrums, and my favorite- Chocolate Milk helps you recover after a Race!!!!
Wish me Luck! Oh, I just remembered- I Can Do This!

Pictures from this weekend will come soon.

3 comments:

krisha said...

I always thought that I was doing great keeping the work of wisdom not smoking drinking you know but then my little sister pointed out to me that we were going to be held accountable for what we were not giving it also. We would be asked why we didn't eat the fruits and veggies or properly exercied. So with that I to have been trying to exercise more. Maybe you are trying to jump in too soon. Work your self up to it. Thats been my goal:)

The Spendloves said...

I've been meaning to post a comment for awhile. I love your blog and your honesty about everything. I love your haircut too.

For me running is a nice excuse for me time and a reason to leave the house everyday. If I'm tired I'll walk and run, instead of just run. If I get a good playlist on my nano, I'm excited to run. But ultimately, the thing that motivates me is registering for races. I haven't since the boys were born, but I'm excited to start running longer distances. There is nothing like paying money for something to motivate me to participate and complete the run. I know your sisters are all doing it now. Angie and I love doing races together. Something about sisters and running... it's a great combo.

Unknown said...

This past year I have spent deeply involved in learning good nutrition. Could I recommend a good book to you? It's called "Eat To Live" by Joel Furman, M.D. He writes about the foods we eat, the different types of diets that are out there, the best foods to eat, etc. I truly loved this book. It coincides with the Word of Wisdom beautifully. I own a copy, so if you would like to borrow it you can. I also have other nutrition books you are welcome to look at, but this was one of my favorites. I wish you well in your discoveries you find in the Word of Wisdom and the Lord's personal revelation.