Saturday, October 18, 2008

Grandma Great

When I was in the 2nd grade I told some kids in my class that My Great Grandmother was 99 years old. She wasn't, I think she was only 96 when she passed away, at that time I was in the 10th grade. Why do I tell you this? I think I was lucky that I had a Grandma Great. I have been thinking about Her lately. I thought she was the Queen of Logan and her children, in fact all of my fathers Aunts and Uncles, I thought they were royalty too, to this day I still get a feeling of awe when I am around them, and I don't know why.

My family is not royalty, but somehow, maybe without even trying, my parents fostered in me a great respect of my elders. I have been hoping to be able to do that for my children. How do I teach them how special their Great Aunts and Uncles and Great Grandparents are? I figure the best way to do that is to make sure that they have plenty of time to get to know these wonderful people.

With that in mind, we went to visit my Grandmother, the Babies Grandma Great, last week. I realized that she lives within a mile of the Babies Pediatrician and so every time we visit the Doctor we are also going to visit Grandma Great. This is a picture that I think shows the Love already growing in this little boys heart for this wonderful Great Grandma of his.

Today is Grandma Greats Birthday. She is 91 years old. So if all works out and everyone stays in good health, when my little baby boy is in the 2nd grade he can tell his friends, "My Great Grandma is 98 years old" and he will be telling the truth.

I love you Grandma, you are another one of my Heroes. Thank You for your Example of Faith and Enduring your trials with grace and patience and love.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

How did you post this today? You're on the move!

Very fun blog, I'm still exploring. Grandmas are the best! But now I know you're a liar. 99, whatever. =o)

Jolene said...

This picture is priceless! I also had the opportunity to grow up knowing two grandma-greats, and I definitely feel so blessed to have known them and have memories with them. My great-grandma Lucy just passed away two years ago, and I amazed by her love and courage. Hope you guys are doing well! I love reading your blog and seeing the pictures! Such a cute family!

Christy said...

I've been thinking about my Grandparents a lot too. I was lucky enough to have two Great Grandmas for a few years of my life. One of my GG's made a dress for my doll, but I decided to put it on this stuffed monkey I had. I still remember how made she was at my Grandma (her daughter-in-law) for letting me put that dress on the monkey.