Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Sister of the Month Club

Ken and I discovered a wonderful way to travel- Caravanning! For us this involved finding a brother and sister-in-law who were traveling in the same direction at roughly the same time that we were traveling. Then we would split up- this trip, Ken would ride with his brother and nieces and nephews in their van while I would drive with my sister-in-law and the baby in our car.

It was a blast! I had so much fun and learned a lot about my sisters while spending hours with them driving through California and Nevada. At one point we sisters even hijacked the lunch plans and forced everyone to go to the Circus Circus in Reno for the buffet (I was very hungry, much too hungry for KFC or McDonald's to handle).

After it was all over I realized that I have something most people never even come close to having- I have 11 sisters. My parents gave me 5 and when I married Ken, I married into 6 more. Someday Ken’s brother S will give me my 12th sister and then I will have a sister for every month of the year! This makes me Happy.

We have had a Wheeler family reunion two years in a row now. As I was traveling with my sister T, I said that we should have a sister-in-law retreat as part of the future reunions. It could be before, after or even better, during the reunions. I am not sure we could sell the men on the idea, but I think the most fun could be had if one night during the reunion we said good-bye to our husbands and children and had a sleepover at a nearby location (a spa or resort of some kind would work nicely). The fun I had talking with one sister while caravanning would be multiplied, Hilarity would ensue and we could all get to know each other and bond in our Wheeler Sisterhood that much more.

I think this could be fun to do with my Sisters here in Utah as well. In fact before my sister C got married I wanted to do something similar with my sisters, but I never quite figured out how to pull it all together, and so it didn’t happen. Who knows, the sister-in-law retreat may never happen either- but it is fun to dream and sometimes dreams do come true.

No comments: