Friday, August 22, 2008

An Extended 4th of July

I love the Olympics. The Olympic Love started for me back in 84. Yes, I did run away, and take my little sister with me, during the Olympics that year, but that is another story.

A few moments ago they showed the medal ceremony for the Men’s 400 meters, it had been an American sweep and so 3 American flags were raised as “the Star-Spangled Banner” played. I have loved hearing our National Anthem during these games and I have loved singing along, in my head mostly.

I also have found it interesting that when I think the words of this great song, I don’t think about the first verse, which is the verse we hear the most. I think about the third verse.

“Oh, thus be it ever, when free men shall stand between their loved homes and the war’s desolation! Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the heav’n-rescued land praise the Pow’r that hath mad and preserved us a nation! Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, and this be our motto: “In God is our trust!” And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave o’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"

I have had a hard time explaining why this is my favorite verse, but I want to attempt a try today.

I picture in my mind, my father, my husband, my brothers-in-law, putting themselves between those they love and the danger and desolation of war. (It is pretty easy for me to picture and feel this, because I saw my father leave for the first Gulf War a week or two before Christmas in 1990, that memory is strong when I sing this verse.) In my mind I then see these men joined by their wives as they protect their homes in the ongoing war with evil, the evil that would so easily enter our homes if we are not vigilant. At times, some of us will have to fight this battle alone, but the promise remains the same for all of us. As we give our all, We remember our Savior and all that he has done for us. We rely on the power found in his Atonement and in his Gospel that enables of to create fortresses that will protect our families from the storms as they arise. We trust in Him, we seek His will and know that we will conquer if we are true and faithful to His cause.


I always enjoy the 4th of July because we sing this song, and I think one of the reasons I have enjoyed the Olympics so much this year is because I have heard this song so many times over the past two weeks, it has been like an Extended 4th of July. I Love it!
I love it- almost as much as I love my two Very Patriotic Boys!

1 comment:

krisha said...

I never really thought of it as an extended 4th of July but you are right. I love the olympics and Seth and I watch it religiously. The boys have even started to get into it. My favorite is when the obscure and no name people come from behind to win.