Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I talk a good game, or, Where are the Friendly Forest Creatures when you need them?

I can remember being pretty young and telling myself that someday I would be really good at keeping my room clean. It still hasn’t happened. I have really good Ideas for really fun parties, but they pretty much stay Ideas. So how do I change that, how do I go from talking a good game to playing a good game?

Practice.

It just came to me, Like Magic.

Last week I made myself a chore chart; it lists one chore per day. I thought it was very sensible and easy to accomplish, after all I should be able to do at least one thing per day.

So as I sat here on Wednesday, thinking about how I am folding the laundry which should have been finished on Tuesday, because it was Tuesday’s chore, and how I really haven’t finished cleaning the kitchen- which was Monday’s chore, and how I am most likely not going to get the floors vacuumed, swept and mopped which is today’s chore, I was surprised by the thought that popped into my head.

“Did you expect to be perfect the first time?”

Why, Yes, I did. I answered the thought.

“Well it is going to take some time”

And with that I thought about all the times I have started a new job. I wasn’t just placed at a desk, or a check stand, and told, “OK, start working”, I was trained, and helped until I could do it by myself. Well, Mom worked very hard to train me, I was never the best trainee when it came to cleaning, and I guess now is my time to make up for all that.

So I am not going to give up because this week has not turned out as magically perfect as I expected it to. I guess somewhere deep inside me I still expect the birds and other cute little forest creatures to help me with all my household duties, I guess they haven’t quite figured out where I am, I should sing louder! Until they show up, I will practice and who knows, maybe I will actually get good at it.

As far as the Party Ideas go, I think that is why God gave me Ken- the Party King. I am going to start sharing those Ideas with him and see what happens.

1 comment:

krisha said...

I am going to try the chore chart idea for Seth. He keeps telling me to make him one so he knows what he needs to do in the house but I just keep putting it off. Wouldn't it be great if we were just rich enough for maids and then we could spend all our time just relishing our families and ourselves :)