Sunday, September 20, 2009

New Crib

It was just by chance that I saw the Notices pinned to the Announcement Board at the Local Wal-Mart. By Chance because the Announcement board is in the very back of the store- in a place that I am sure not to many people ever see. We happened to be back there picking up something from "Site to Store" and it was taking FOREVER because after they had checked it in and emailed me to let me know I could pick it up, they lost it.....that is right they told us they couldn't remember where they put it. So for 20 minutes we let Baby J run around in a very boring room, after about 10 minutes I started to read everything that was pinned to the Board on the wall. And to my Horror, there was our Crib. Recalled. Not just a part that you could have replaced but the entire crib. After doing an Internet search I discovered that all of the companies cribs had been recalled and it looked as if the company itself "Simplicity" had gone out of business.

We had never had a problem with the crib, but I worry, I worry all the time and I knew that if I ignored the recall I would have plenty of sleepless nights, wondering if the drop side was going to come loose, and if it ever did, and if the worse happened, I would never be able to forgive myself. So Ken took the crib apart and I returned it to the store. I decided that since most of the crib recalls I had seen had been related to the Drop Side, and since we had used the drop side only 3 or 4 times in the past 18 months, I would buy a crib that didn't have a drop side. For some reason those cribs cost more, but that really wasn't too much of a problem since I am working a little more these days. Baby J could sleep in his pack n'play for a week or two until I saved up enough money and found him a new crib.

Well, on Friday I found a crib that I liked the look of and amazingly enough I also liked the price, just $20 more than the crib we returned. The store had 2 on hand. I went home and looked up reviews, they were all quite good and so I went back later that evening and bought a new crib.
Ken had a stake meeting on Saturday Afternoon and Baby J and I took that opportunity to put he new crib together. It only took about an hour and a half (I think it would have only taken an hour if Baby J hadn't been helping). These are the Results.
He looks pretty happy doesn't he. He was begging to get in the crib and when I put him in he started to jump up and down. I was a little scared that he wouldn't think it was a bed, but rather a place to play, but he slept great last night, 12+ hours!
This next picture is of him checking out the baby that lives on the other side of the room. There are some mirrored closet doors directly across form the crib and I often find him talking to the baby that lives over there. I think if we could see Baby J's thoughts in Bubble captions this pictures would have a bubble that said something like this- " Wow, That baby CUTE, and he has a pretty nice bed too!"
And, on a side note, this is a 4 in 1 crib, in a year or so (or whenever he starts climbing out) it will turn into a toddler bed, then a day bed and finally a beautiful full size Sleigh Bed.

2 comments:

Kim said...

That crib is way beautiful! A beautiful bed for a beautiful boy!

angee said...

We have "cribs" like this one, that although pricey, in my opinion, are so worth it!! We have moved both from cribs to toddler beds, and JJ's is now a day bed. All we have to do in the future is buy the rails and mattresses, and we're set for life! LOVE IT!!! We didn't/don't have to hunt for new beds as our children grew. And I love how sturdy they are. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now. I really like your new crib.