Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Strangers with Knives- the Continuing Saga

Last Thursday we took our little B to Primary Children's Hospital to have his second surgery. He had tubes put in and his adenoids taken out last April. This trip he underwent a MAGPI Hypospadias Repair, similar to the surgery his older brother had in January of 2009. J's surgery taught me to get really anxious whenever anyone goes near my children with knives.......so, on Thursday, even though B had done fine during and after his first surgery, I was ANXIOUS. I was probably the only one, I mean check this kid out- does he look scared? No!
We checked in, and changed clothes.....
and played.....
and cuddled.....
and got tired....
Little B was eventually declared well enough for surgery by a PA, but since he had croup in the middle of December, about 4 weeks prior to the surgery, we were told that the Anesthesiologist would have the final call as to whether or not they would proceed with the surgery. There were some huge delays in the OR that day and so we waited almost 2 more hours before talking to the Anesthesiologist. 

During our wait, B put on a fashion show.....
.... and Learned to Drive.....
Eventually we did meet with the Anesthesiologist who explained that, even though the outward symptoms of croup are gone, the throat is often still inflamed and adding intubation to an inflamed throat is not a good thing. Intubation is a common practice during pediatric surgery because for some odd reason kids get so relaxed they forget to breath. They would attempt Surgery without intubation and the anesthesiology would monitor his breathing very very closely.

The Surgery went very well. Our little B is quite the trooper. They let me go back into the first post anesthesia area and as I entered I heard my baby screaming "MAAAAAAMA! MAAAAAMA!" a very kind male nurse was  attempting to calm him down, but B wanted nothing to do with him. I grabbed my baby and within seconds he had stopped screaming. This was very special to me, because- I must admit- B loves Ken, he loves me too, but I am his second choice if Ken is around. So the fact that he was calling for me, and that he calmed so quickly made my heart melt that much more. About 30 minutes later they brought Ken into the Post Anesthesia area and as soon as he saw his Daddy, B reached out for him. (So you see, I am still second choice, but I'm okay with that). Our little Trooper B recovered very quickly, he was drinking (and keeping it down) way before they expected him too, and he was moving and shaking and dancing and playing....well, maybe not dancing.....but they released him much earlier than expected. This was a complete, 180 degree, different experience from what we had with J. J couldn't keep his oxygen up, he threw up every time we attempted to get him to drink. We were there for a few extra hours. Because of J, Ken and I bring extra clothes. Extra clothes are evidently not needed with B.

Here's our happy little camper as he was released from the hospital.
A passing doctor saw us taking that picture and asked if we wanted one of the entire entourage.  Of course we did!
And that is the continuing Saga of Strangers with Knives. Now- if we can make it through today and tomorrow without any "Bleeding" incidents, I think I may be able to get over my surgical anxiety.

No comments: