Monday, August 8, 2011

Sometimes it's good to be a Loser

Last week I got to meet Deni Hill, she was the at home winner of the Biggest Loser last season. His daughter, the one who got married while she was on the show, lives in my sister Laurie's neighborhood. The ladies from the local Relief Society got together for a meeting where Deni was speaking, and Laurie invited me to come. Thanks Laurie! 

So what did Deni tell us. Nothing much new. She said that it is all about calories in verses calories out, how much you eat verses how much you burn, if you burn enough you will lose, in order for her to lose the 125 pounds she had to work out for 4 hours or more per day. She said that in order to maintain, she still has to do 2 hours per day  most days. 

While she was on the ranch she said that she read the "Word of Wisdom" every day and she truly has come to realize that the guidance given in that section of the Doctrine and Covenants (section 89) isn't something outdated and meant for people who lived in a time before refrigeration, it is truly for us today, she encouraged everyone to read it and make it our own. Everyone can apply the principles of good health to their lives, and everyone may do it a little differently, but as long as we are truly doing our best we will be blessed.
I agree. I know that I have made changes, and I hope to stay healthy for the rest of my life. Deni and (almost) everyone else on the Biggest Loser have always been good examples to me, if they can do it, I can do it. It was nice to be able to meet her and hear how the Gospel of Jesus Christ had it's place in her weight loss journey.

No comments: