Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A little Harvest

We planted a watermelon this year. I envisioned my family enjoying a couple wonderful watermelons that we grew in our own backyard. Well, this was it. As you can see a watermelon grew! A very very small watermelon. I decided last week that it wasn't going to get any bigger, so I picked it. It was about the size of a grapefruit. See a large yellow squash and a stick of margarine in the picture- for scale.
 I sliced it up. It was FABULOUS! We grow really yummy miniature watermelons!
 We also have a grape vine. I harvested as many grapes as I could reach and made some grape juice concentrate. If you factor in the amount of time I spent cleaning, prepping, cooking and squishing and cooking, then this is probably the most expensive grape juice my family will ever drink. But I enjoyed it, and I hope we enjoy drinking it through the next year. I've realized lately that I enjoy creating. I like to make things, crafts, jewelry, baked goods, I enjoy the creative process.
 Here is another thing I've been creating- but this one won't be ready to harvest for years to come. I'm making a mini me! That's right, he is a boy- and that is different from me- BUT he sleeps just like me :) pillow on his head and all. (let it be known that I do not wear buzz light year pajamas, but that might just be because I don't have any).
And that is a little bit of our harvest. I am looking forward to my butternut and acorn squash, as of right now I have 2 of each :) YAY! And our tomatoes have finally started ripening, so we had some yummy yummy salsa last week, I grew the green pepper and the Anaheim pepper that went in to the salsa as well. So, this years garden hasn't been horrible after all. Yay for harvests, even little tiny ones.

1 comment:

Scarlett said...

I am so impressed! You rocked your garden this year!